Sunday, February 17, 2013

[Audiobook Review]Scarlet by Marissa Meyer

Scarlet
Lunar Chronicals #2
Marissa Meyer
February 5th, 2013
Feiwel and Friends
452 pages

Amazon/Book Depository/B&N






The fates of Cinder and Scarlet collide as a Lunar threat spreads across the Earth...

Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of the bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She's trying to break out of prison—even though if she succeeds, she'll be the Commonwealth's most wanted fugitive.

Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit's grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn't know about her grandmother or the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother's whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter another when they meet Cinder. Now, all of them must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen Levana, who will do anything for the handsome Prince Kai to become her husband, her king, her prisoner.

 Hi it's Amy back again and this week I finished listening to Scarlet by Marissa Meyer.  I am going to open this review with one phrase: Shut the front door because this book was amazing.  I have listened to Cinder and thought it was so good and the follow up Scarlet did not disappoint.  The scifi fairy tales continued in Scarlet with a twist on Little Red Hooding Hood.

    Scarlet is hunting for her missing grandmother and with the help a shady street fighter named Wolf she sets out across France in her red hoodie.  Again with all of Marrissa Meyer's Lunar Chronicles books there is more to the story than just a retelling of classic fairy tales.  All the cast from Cinder is back and the evil Lunar queen has more tricks her up sleeve to make sure her will is met.  Cinder has escaped from prison and with help of a new character Captain Thorn and his stolen space ship, she is has decided to find the one person who can help her find out more about who she really is because Cinder needs answers.

I will just stop right here because I don't want to give too much of the plot twists away and just talk about what I loved about the book.  In the words of Marissa Meyer herself, these books are a fairy tale meets Firefly meets Star Wars.  This book was filled with action, adventure, mystery, and of course a little romance.  While the mystery is a little predictable and I had already figured out how everything was connected before the characters had figured it out.  I never felt liked the story dragged because there is never a dull moment in Scarlet as Scarlet and Cinder get in out of one scrape after another.  I am sure I am not the first girl to admit this but my favorite new character is the literally swoon worthy Captain Thorn.  I love his brazen attitude and even before I heard Marissa Meyer speak about her inspiration for this character I already knew who he reminded me of: Mal Reynolds from Firefly and Captain Jack Harkness from Doctor Who.  Captain Thorn's character lightens things up and keeps Cinder from taking herself too seriously.  Isn't that what every flirty, flighty, brazen space captain is supposed to do.

In conclusion, if you are a scifi or fairy tale geek like me then I highly recommend Scarlet and if you decide to listen to it you won't be disappointed because Rebecca Soler did an amazing job again with the voices.  For me in the end I liked Scarlet even better than Cinder and I give Scarlet five laser pistols because it is most definitely a supernova.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment