The NaturalsJennifer Lynn Barnes
November 5, 2013
Miramax
ARC provided via Netgalley by publisher for an honest review
Amazon/Book Depository/B&N

Seventeen-year-old Cassie is a natural at reading people. Piecing together the tiniest details, she can tell you who you are and what you want. But, it's not a skill that she's ever taken seriously. That is, until the FBI come knocking: they've begun a classified program that uses exceptional teenagers to crack infamous cold cases, and they need Cassie.Do you like Criminal Minds the TV show? Do you like shows or books that get inside the head of a killer? If you are like me and answered yes to those questions then The Naturals is a book that will be right up your alley.
What Cassie doesn't realize is that there's more at risk than a few unsolved homicides-especially when she's sent to live with a group of teens whose gifts are as unusual as her own. Soon, it becomes clear that no one in the Naturals program is what they seem. And when a new killer strikes, danger looms close. Caught in a lethal game of cat and mouse with a killer, the Naturals are going to have to use all of their gifts just to survive.
The Naturals is about a girl that has a rare, uncanny, almost psychic gift to observe and get into peoples' heads. That is why she is chosen to become part of an FBI program that is training teens to use their gifts as behavior analysis young, before life has gotten in the way and they waste away. Cassie has another reason she wants to join. When she was twelve her mother was supposedly murdered but no one knows for sure because the body was never found and the only thing left as the crime scene was a lot of blood. Cassie goes to live in the house with other teens like her. Together hey start profiling an active case their FBI mentors are working. This case isn't just a normal serial killer case because this killer is targeting Cassie.
I really did like this book, it reminded me of a teen version of Criminal Minds or any crime show on TV. The setup was a little unrealistic, but if I can believe the FBI might have an X-Files then I could believe they might have a program to train teens with natural gifts to hunt criminals so their powers can be used for good and they don't use them for nefarious purposes instead. The beginning of the book is kind of slow, but once Cassie gets to the house things pick up and the book moves at a much faster pace. I really liked the ending and I never saw the real killer coming. I love books like this one that are intriguing, keep you guessing, and throw you for a loop when all is revealed to the heroine. That is what had me towards the end because I was so fascinated by the cat and mouse game between Cassie and the killer. I could not put the book down.
This book also has two cute boys so there is potential for romance in future books. I liked this book was about getting inside a killer's head and catching criminals. I look forward to reading the next book in the series. I am one of those weird people that rind real world criminals terrifying and fascinating because people are way more scarier than a made up monster. I recommend The Naturals to anyone looking for a suspenseful read that has a twisted ending. I am giving this book four laser pistols because I ended up really enjoying this book and my grabby hands can't wait to read more.

No comments:
Post a Comment