Monday, September 23, 2013

[ARC Review] Bound by Night by Larissa Ione


http://www.underthecoversbookblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/bound-by-night.jpg 





Bound by Night
The Moonbound Clan Vampires #1
Larissa Ione
September 24, 2013
Pocket Books 
ARC Provided by Publisher via Netgalley  
Nicole Martin was only eight years old when she narrowly survived a massacre: her family’s vampire slaves rebelled and killed everyone in her household. Twenty years later, Nicole now dedicates herself to finding a vaccine against vampirism…and eradicating the gruesome memories that give her nightmares.

Riker, a member of the wild vampire Moon Clan, is haunted by his own demons—his wife Lorraine had been captured and enslaved by the Martin family. It was during a botched escape attempt that she was killed, along with their unborn child. Still wracked with grief and anger, Riker is now fueled solely by the desire to rescue vampire slaves…and slaughter their owners.

When Riker stumbles upon Nicole in a chance meeting, he immediately recognizes her as a member of the Martin family that once enslaved his wife—and she recognizes him as the wild vampire she saw kissing a pregnant slave in the moments before her violent death—an image that has haunted her dreams for years.

When Riker kidnaps Nicole and they spend a night together in a cave on the way back to his clan, suddenly they begin to realize that they aren’t as different from one another as they may have thought—and they’re finding themselves drawn to one another…

Have you ever read a book that you can't put down? That is how Bound by Night was for me. This book was one of those books I picked up on my day off and got lost in the world. All I wanted to do was stay home and finish the story. I loved the world building of Bound by Night so much that it was that easy to immerse myself and not want to come up for air.

Bound by Night is about a woman whose family owns vampire slaves and her father, and later her half brother, run a company that does medical research on vampires as well. When Nicole is only ten years old her family's vampire slaves revolt, killing her family. She is lucky to make it out scarred but alive, or at least that is what everyone tells her. Now, years later, the vampires are after her again and they want one of their own back who has been kidnapped by her company. Nicole doesn't know anything about the missing vampire so Riker takes her as leverage to bargain with her brother.

So the story itself is nothing new, a woman scared of vampires and a vampire who hates humans. Can they put aside their differences to explore the attraction they both feel? Will they be able to heal the hurts of the past to let love in? I have seen the story before but what makes this book is the world building. I was fascinated by a world in which vampires existed and humans enslaved them. They defanged them, demoralized them, and gelded them like animals. They used them for testing to cure diseases and many humans forget that they used to be human. That vampires while scary just want what any creature wants: to love, live, and to be left alone. I liked that there are monsters on both sides and good guys on both sides. I liked that in this world everything isn't black and white. In this world vampires started with Native Americans. I loved the background and the origin stories explained. I liked that even years later in vampire clans the Native American roots still run strong. Even in Riker and Nicole's story I liked watching Nicole heal and become strong. Riker was able to let go and love again.

In the end I give Bound by Night four laser pistols. This book was fascinating, a little cheesy (but I loved it), and hot, hot, hot. It had everything I like in a good paranormal romance. The ending leaves it open for more books in this world and I can't wait to read it. This is my third Larissa Ione book I have read and really liked. I can honestly say I am now a fan and she is on my auto buy list now. I recommend this book to anyone who is a fan of Sheeilyn Kenyon's Dark Hunter series or J.R. Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood series because I know if you love these you will like Bound by Night as much as I did.



No comments:

Post a Comment