The Andalite Chronicles
Animorphs #0
Katherine Applegate
December 1997
Scholastic
328 pages
Amazon

His name is Elfangor-Sirinial-Shamtul.
An Andalite warrior-prince. The one who gave five young humans the ability to morph into any animal they touch. They are still out there, fighting an evil so powerful there isn't a moment that goes by when they can actually feel safe. Their story continues.
But this is how it all began.
For those of you who didn't see the original announcement, I'm rereading this series. I remember this book coming out when I was twelve, originally. And while I remember grasping -most- of the concepts, I found this book to be one of the duller in the series. Sweeping tales of morality were not what I was looking for as a child.
As an adult, the prose was simple, a cantering lilt through the pages that had me at the end faster than I realized.
In an effort to read the books in chronological order, I started with this one and it was a good choice. I remember it coming out specially and revealing some major plot spoilers which I won't divulge to you here. The circumstances around the spoilers were a little easier to understand as an adult. As a child, the writing on those pages was disorienting, jumbled. And while in some ways it still was, I could follow the thread of conscious thought much easier.
This book is about Elfangor, the andalite who bestows the morphing gift upon the main characters in the first book. It follows him through his first battle, shows the horrors of a war where if people don't die, they're changed in ways where they might as well be.
A great start to this reread.


No comments:
Post a Comment