Tuesday, March 5, 2013

[Review] The Nightmare Affair by Mindee Arnett


http://img2.imagesbn.com/p/9780765333339_p1_v2_s600.JPGThe Nightmare Affair
The Arkwell Academy #1
Mindee Arnett
March 5, 2013
ARC courtesy of TOR Teen via Netgalley for an honest review

Amazon/Book Depository/B&N






Sixteen-year-old Dusty Everhart breaks into houses late at night, but not because she's a criminal. No, she's a Nightmare. Literally. Being the only Nightmare at Arkwell Academy, a boarding school for magickind, and living in the shadow of her mother's infamy, is hard enough. But when Dusty sneaks into Eli Booker's house, things get a whole lot more complicated. He's hot, which means sitting on his chest and invading his dreams couldn't get much more embarrassing. But it does. Eli is dreaming of a murder. Then Eli's dream comes true. Now Dusty has to follow the clues - both within Eli's dreams and out of them - to stop the killer before more people turn up dead. And before the killer learns what she's up to and marks her as the next target.
If you are a huge fan of Harry Potter and Nancy Drew like I am then I know you are going to fall in love with The Nightmare Affair like I did

The story is about Dusty, a half nightmare and half human. A nightmare is a magical being who feeds off dreams, or nightmares to be more specific.Dusty has just come into her powers and is trying to adjust to her new magical life as Arkwell Academy. After a few disastrous feeding attempts she is supposed to be trained, but when she goes to feed on the most popular boy at her old high school for "ordinaries" things don't go as expected. Dusty witnesses a crime scene in the dream and when Eli, the boy she is feeding off of, touches her she is pushed out of the dream and finds out that her magic does not work on him. Later she goes back to school to discover the girl from the dream is really dead and she and Eli are a dream seer pair. Now Dusty and Eli with the help of others must solve the mystery of the murders at Arkwell Academy.

I really liked this book. I read it in 48 hours it was so good I could not put it down. The only reason I did put it down was to sleep. It starts off with a shirtless hunk and a murder mystery. Two of my favorite things so what was there not to like, hehe. It just got better from there as the author drew me into this magical world of different kinds of magic users. I thought the author did an amazing job building the world and explaining the different types of magic without getting bogged down in too much technical jargon. The story was quick and moves along as a nice fast pace. I love a good mystery that even I don't have it all figured out at the end. I had a few suspects but I was floored when the murderer was revealed.

In conclusion I give The Nightmare Affair four laser pistols because it was out of this world. I highly recommend it because it has everything that makes a good book; action, romance, supernatural creatures, murder, and even a little humor. I will definitely be checking out more books as they come from Mindee Arnett.




No comments:

Post a Comment